FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority) defines PHISHING as: Scams that use spam email or a fake website to lure you into revealing your bank or brokerage account information, passwords or PINS, Social Security numbers or other types of confidential information.
HOW DO THEY TRICK YOU?
The Phishing scams falsely claim to be from financial institutions or services that you have done business with.
Scams may include:
* The names of real people
* Legitimate looking email addresses
* Authentic looking logos and graphics
* Links to pages of a bona fide website.
* Official looking fine print and reference to laws.
DO NOT BE FOOLED
* Do not provide personal information, account numbers, pin numbers or passwords to unsolicited emails.
* Leave suspicious websites
* Do not respond to threats requiring you to take action such as your account will be shut down.
* Do not click on any links to make any upgrades or verify your account information.